FIGHT REP CHOREOGRAPHER PRIMER
So you’re interested in choreographing a kinetic, original action film using qualified fighters? Great news! If you’re wondering how it works, read the information below.
WHAT DO I GET FROM FIGHT REP?
- A sandbox opportunity to create a fight you’ve always wanted to see. This could include off-curriculum weapons, favourite story scenarios, and more.
- Twelve qualified stage combatants to help you tell your story
- Two Principals to help you tell your story in any number of ways (see Inspiration)
- Loan of available weapons from the iD arsenal
- A professional Director of Photography to capture your action at its best
- A professional credit on a short film which will be distributed online
- A support infrastructure with creative resources
WHAT’S EXPECTED OF ME?
- Contribute your time and talent to the production of an amazing short action film
- To commit to a block of three weekly sessions, two three hour sessions comprising choreography and rehearsal, and one six hour shooting shooting session
- To decide ahead of time on a pitch for your fight scene, which includes a basic outline of the story and the key weapons used by the fight team
- To work with the Director of Photography and use his expertise to allow for the expedient capture of footage
- To note fighters during rehearsal and the shoot to get the best performances out of them
- To create certain beats in the progression of the fight that will make it engaging, surprising and fulfilling for audiences
- To respond to the varying skill levels of the Fight Rep Team and balance ambitious ideas with realistic expectations – push, but don’t break!
- Lead by example by setting a positive tone for the sessions
WHAT INSPIRATION CAN YOU GIVE ME
- This Blog Post provides stimulus on some of the many stories that can be told through an action sequence
- Contact Artistic Director Robert Myles if you’d like help devising a story and premise for your weapon set and structure
- Below are some ideas for the different configurations into which the fight team can be arranged. This should help you get an idea of how flexibly you can use the resources at your disposal
If this sounds good and you’d like to be involved, get in touch!
FIGHT REP CONFIGURATIONS